I have three APC PDUs – all the AP7920 model, they monitor power consumption and allow remote switching of a bunch of devices in the main rack. Last week I sourced a fourth device to live in the garage comms rack. This came from eBay, and as has been the case with every used device I’d have, it still had old IP config and an unknown username and password set.
So for future-Howard’s benefit: how to reset the password and settings so it can be set up from scratch…
Find the USB->Serial adapter, and the Serial->Console port cable for APC devices. Both of these should be in that box in the middle cupboard in the garage, with those other random PC bits. Now power up the PDU and:
- Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds.
- The status light should blink rapidly.
- Release the reset button then press it again for about a second.
- The light should go orange.
- After about 20 seconds the reset will complete and the device will have booted.
- Using your serial terminal at 9600 board, hit enter a few times until you see the login prompt.
apcto login. You can now configure IP settings/reset passwords etc.
Now to pull everything out of the garage rack so this can slot into the back.